Total Fitness has emailed its customers to let them know that it has fallen victim to a cyberattack. As a result of the attack, personal data has been breached, including bank account information.
Total Fitness has attempted to reassure its customers that “it is extremely unlikely that this data could be exploited in such a way that would lead to any financial loss”. But unfortunately, our data breach solicitors do not believe that Total Fitness can say this with any confidence. We have seen first-hand the damage that can be done when hackers get access to such personal and sensitive data.
Anyone affected by this data breach may now be able to make a compensation claim.
What happened in the Total Fitness data breach?
According to Total Fitness, its IT systems were “recently attacked by a highly sophisticated international organised cyber-crime network”.
Usernames, passwords, and credit card information have not been compromised. However, a scanned copy of its customer membership agreements have been taken. These include member address details and bank account information.
What should you do now?
Total Fitness has recommended that members take the following steps:
- Check your bank statement regularly for any unusual payments that you don’t recognise.
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly. Try to keep them at least eight characters long and use numbers, upper case, lower case and symbols.
- Never give out personal details over the phone unless you’re sure who you’re speaking to.
- Check your Credit Report regularly for newly opened accounts or credit searches that you don’t recognise.
- If you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040.
Making a Total Fitness data breach claim
If your data has been compromised in this data breach, you might be able to make a compensation claim with Keller Lenkner UK.
Total Fitness is offering a free 12 Month subscription to online monitoring service TrueIdentity to help keep victims of this breach safe. We would recommend using such a service but recommend that you check that in agreeing to this offer, you don’t waive your rights to make a data breach claim against Total Fitness.
Why use Keller Lenkner UK?
If your data has been put at risk in this data breach, you can make a claim with Keller Lenkner UK.
We are committed to helping those affected by data breaches and cybercrime. And we believe that something has to be done to make organisations accountable for not looking after our information correctly.